I spent the day wandering around Cambridge. It's a lovely city...it pretty much fits the idea I had of an English city (beside London). The weather wasn't too bad while I was there, either. Lower 40s, I'd say, and the sun kept trying to come out. Beats the 10F back in NJ right now!
The colleges of Cambridge were fantastic to see. Cambridge is celebrating its 800th anniversary this year. That's almost impossible for me to comprehend; most things in the US are so new compared to Europe. I heard a choir practice in the chapel in Trinity College while I passed through. It was neat to see the students wandering around these old, beautiful buildings and courtyards...I wouldn't mind living and studying here. Cambridge, here I come!!! ;)
The other cool thing about Cambridge was the bicycles. They're everywhere! It's the preferred mode of transport for the locals. There are parts of Cambridge that are touristy and commercialized, but the best parts of my day were spent wandering down narrow residential streets and alleys to get a real feel for the town.
Today I moved my hotel room for the second time. I like having my curtains open, but don't particularly enjoy being looked at from the office buildings my previous two rooms looked upon. Persistence has paid off and here's the new view by day...
...and by night
I can also see a piece of the old wall that surrounded London during Roman times...it's tucked behind the hotel and I didn't even know it was there till today. Amazing what you can find in London, if you look around.
No comments:
Post a Comment