Saturday, May 16, 2009

Climbing a Glacier – Alaska Day 3

This day turns out to be the highlight of the trip. Our party of 10 headed out to the Matanuska Glacier, an hour drive east of Palmer on the Glenn Highway. Not only were we going to hang out on the glacier all day, but we were going to ice climb it. Thanks to Dean and Carlene and their copious amounts of ice-climbing gear and expertise, we got geared up and climbing on the glacier by early afternoon. Helmet on, crampons strapped to my boots, I was ready to go.

Dean getting me ready to climb

Last climb of the day on the obstacle course

The glacier was beautiful, and the climbing was a ton of fun. Weather was beautiful yet again- I was hanging out in a tshirt for part of the day. While the others were climbing, Julie and I wandered around to get a look at the glacier. Gorgeous!


We wrapped up the day with dinner for 6 at the Lone Rifle Inn, a local place with a great view of the glacier.

No comments: