I arrived in Jaipur at 11 and was picked up by my driver for the weekend, Ramchander. Ram drove for Bill Clinton the two times he visited Jaipur (once as President, once as a tourist). Ram was super nice and a great guide around the city.
I spent Saturday shopping and bargaining my way through Jaipur, the pink city. The shopkeepers double the price of whatever you're asking about. My strategy was to say 'no no, that's too much'. They say 'very good price madame, but I'll take off 5% for you'. I ask for 50% the asking price, they say no way, I say no way and start toward the door, and they are happy to oblige my price.
I spent the night at Samode Palace. This is a real former palace. Easily the nicest place I've ever stayed. The room they upgraded me to was bigger than my apartment. The bathroom alone was bigger than my bedroom.
When I looked up from the balcony of my room, I saw something I didn't expect to see: stars. No pollution of any kind blocking my view. I found a huge terrace to sit by myself and stare at the sky for a while.
I wandered around on Sunday morning, then headed back to Jaipur for sightseeing. We drove through some rural villages...
Then I stopped at Ahmer Fort
In Jaipur it was the observatory at Jantar Matar
And, the beautiful facade of Hawa Mahal
And some lassi (yogurt smoothie) and fresh juice for lunch. Tasty. It was hot, humid and sunny wandering around on Sunday.
With that, it was back to Delhi on the train. Goodbye Rajasthan, your countryside is beautiful.
More photos here
No comments:
Post a Comment