I'll go backwards in time. The last concert I saw on Thursday at the Nokia Theatre in Times Square. I saw Straight No Chaser, an a cappella group from at Indiana University. I was able to get a ticket from a friend who's an IU alum - they were sold out by the time I tried to get ticket. They're famous now for their Christmas a cappella songs, but they did more than that at the concert.
The CMJ Music Festival in NY featured 1000 acts across the boroughs in a few days' time span in October. I went to see Jukebox the Ghost while they were part of the festival at the Bowery Ballroom. You'll see where these guys came from as the post continues.
My friend BA invited me down to see The Bravery at TLA in Philly in October. The lead singer had the swine flu but still put on a good show.

One of the concert highlights was certainly U2 and Muse at Giants Stadium. I had never been to the stadium before, and U2 was on my list of must-see concerts. I took my mom, and she loved it as much as I did. Muse was also great - they are extremely talented musicians.


I saw Jukebox the Ghost for the second time in May, along with Jenny Owens Young at the Bowery Ballroom. A nice, smallish venue allowed me to get pretty close to the stage - I'm so spolied now.
In April I snagged a 5th row seat to Flight of the Conchords at Radio City. This was the best show I went to all year - and possibly of all time. These guys are hilarious, excellent musicians, and put on such a great show.

Ben Folds was pretty awesome too; saw him at the Wellmont Theatre in Montclair with my friend Steve in March. This is where I was introduced to Jukebox the Ghost (thank you thank you!) Ben Folds also puts on an excellent show - beside being so talented, he knows how to play to the crowd to make us laugh and participate in the show.
The CMJ Music Festival in NY featured 1000 acts across the boroughs in a few days' time span in October. I went to see Jukebox the Ghost while they were part of the festival at the Bowery Ballroom. You'll see where these guys came from as the post continues.
Yep, I was standing at the stage for Jukebox the Ghost
The Bravery
The concert where the average age was definitely at least 5 years lower than my own was the blink-182 show (also with Fallout Boy) at Madison Square Garden. I went with my friend Brett from work and his wife Amanda, who had seen them play 10 years ago. I can't imagine these guys have changed much in the last 10 years. High energy, and lots of boy humor. The best part was Travis's drum solo that had him flying through the air - that was super awesome.
Blurry blink-182
One of the concert highlights was certainly U2 and Muse at Giants Stadium. I had never been to the stadium before, and U2 was on my list of must-see concerts. I took my mom, and she loved it as much as I did. Muse was also great - they are extremely talented musicians.
Muse
Me and my mama before the show started
I saw Jukebox the Ghost for the second time in May, along with Jenny Owens Young at the Bowery Ballroom. A nice, smallish venue allowed me to get pretty close to the stage - I'm so spolied now.
In April I snagged a 5th row seat to Flight of the Conchords at Radio City. This was the best show I went to all year - and possibly of all time. These guys are hilarious, excellent musicians, and put on such a great show.

Terrible Blackberry picture of FotC, without zoom. Part of the great "Alexis lost her camera charger" episode
Ben Folds was pretty awesome too; saw him at the Wellmont Theatre in Montclair with my friend Steve in March. This is where I was introduced to Jukebox the Ghost (thank you thank you!) Ben Folds also puts on an excellent show - beside being so talented, he knows how to play to the crowd to make us laugh and participate in the show.
And, the first show of the year was Rufus Wainwright, also at the Wellmont, in February. It was a nice, mellow show for Valentines Day. Great piano skills.
Straight No Chaser tickets are already purchased for their April show. I have my eyes on a few other bands that I didn't get to see this year (MGMT, Arcade Fire), plus Jukebox the Ghost when they go back on tour (how many concerts do I need to go to in order to make me a groupie?)
No comments:
Post a Comment