Week 1 at KGF. Where do I start? Let's start with the cast of characters, out to watch the Bruins game for Bob's birthday.
Bob and Jen have owned KGF since the 80s. I asked Bob why they went organic, and he said that's the way his mother did it, so it was the only way he knew to farm. Their son Sam is still on the farm and works every day here. Their daughter Abbi lives and works in Boston and comes back every once in a while. I'll probably get to meet her before my time is up here. Sam's buddies show up to help out a couple times a week. We also have Ash, who's a full-timer here on the farm, and her boyfriend Dennis who helps out too. And, Coley (aka Basil) came here last fall as a WWOOFer, went back to Minnesota, and came back out for a couple months before she goes off for a field study in the White Mountains this week.
So, what do I do each day? Wake up somewhere between 7 and 7:30. There are no dairy cows to milk, so we start a little later than typical farm hours. Breakfast together, then out to feed and water the animals. I usually start by uncovering the everything in the greenhouses. Then water everything. KGF has a gravity-fed well, which means hoses and irrigation systems aren't effective (water pressure too low). So, hand watering it is.
Then it's on to planting. Mostly from flats hanging out in the greenhouse. I did plant carrots from seed too. I also planted a few flats myself.
At the end of the day, covering back up the greenhouses, doing the animals, and back to the house. Or whatever. I went for a run last week and left my camera in the woods overnight after helping Dennis out in the field. In the rain. I stuck it in rice and it works just the same. Something, probably a squirrel, did rip a nice hole in the carrying case (a sock). I'm happy it's still alive.
We tend to eat dinner as a group, whoever's around. I made lentil soup last night with kale from the greenhouse and garlic from the farm.
I've learned an awful lot so far, but my favorite so far are the goats. They have easily surpassed cows as my favorite farm animal. Baby goats make the cutest, most heartwarming sound you'll ever hear. Just watch Phil bounce around.
On to week two, but I leave you with a mystery plant. It's become my favorite plant so far. I planted some in the field today. Comment below to guess what it is.
Clockwise from left: Mat, Pierre, Bob the birthday boy, Sam, Jennifer, me, Basil
Bob and Jen have owned KGF since the 80s. I asked Bob why they went organic, and he said that's the way his mother did it, so it was the only way he knew to farm. Their son Sam is still on the farm and works every day here. Their daughter Abbi lives and works in Boston and comes back every once in a while. I'll probably get to meet her before my time is up here. Sam's buddies show up to help out a couple times a week. We also have Ash, who's a full-timer here on the farm, and her boyfriend Dennis who helps out too. And, Coley (aka Basil) came here last fall as a WWOOFer, went back to Minnesota, and came back out for a couple months before she goes off for a field study in the White Mountains this week.
Basil, Ash, Dennis, Sam and Pierre in the Teepee field. Peas and spinach
So, what do I do each day? Wake up somewhere between 7 and 7:30. There are no dairy cows to milk, so we start a little later than typical farm hours. Breakfast together, then out to feed and water the animals. I usually start by uncovering the everything in the greenhouses. Then water everything. KGF has a gravity-fed well, which means hoses and irrigation systems aren't effective (water pressure too low). So, hand watering it is.
Then it's on to planting. Mostly from flats hanging out in the greenhouse. I did plant carrots from seed too. I also planted a few flats myself.
Golden frill mustard greens. Day 2.
Day 5
At the end of the day, covering back up the greenhouses, doing the animals, and back to the house. Or whatever. I went for a run last week and left my camera in the woods overnight after helping Dennis out in the field. In the rain. I stuck it in rice and it works just the same. Something, probably a squirrel, did rip a nice hole in the carrying case (a sock). I'm happy it's still alive.
We tend to eat dinner as a group, whoever's around. I made lentil soup last night with kale from the greenhouse and garlic from the farm.
Mama built the nest on top of a stepladder leaning on the shed. She yells at us if we get close. What is she? This should be an easy one.
Charlie the Kerry Blue Terrier in a rare moment in of calm
I've learned an awful lot so far, but my favorite so far are the goats. They have easily surpassed cows as my favorite farm animal. Baby goats make the cutest, most heartwarming sound you'll ever hear. Just watch Phil bounce around.
CC the escape artist
On to week two, but I leave you with a mystery plant. It's become my favorite plant so far. I planted some in the field today. Comment below to guess what it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment