Thursday, April 17, 2008

I might as well have an "I'm a nerd" banner in my front yard



Can you find the sign of nerdiness? It's a rain gauge! I've been logging my rainfall to CoCoRaHS since the beginning of the month. I'll add the data to here at some point. Another thing on the to-do list.

In other news, Jonathan and I like free things. A lot. Some things we've saved from the trash/curb include

  • 3-pocket laundry basket
  • Dresser
  • Nightstand
  • Set of 4 lawn chairs
  • Shelving unit for the top of the desk
  • 5 Wooden pallets for the compost pile

This doesn't include all of the furniture and stuff we've received from our families. I like free stuff because it doesn't cost money, and it's a way to reuse stuff before it heads to a landfill. Jonathan likes it for the former reason and could care less about the latter. He just shakes his head or plain laughs at me for some of my environmental initiatives. But that's another post.

1 comment:

Julie said...

that is the cutest little place!

so i don't feel as bad now.. i've been going to the transfer site everyday looking for things to grab. (we don't have curbside pickup, everyone hauls their trash) got a desk.. some extension cords.. a toaster oven... table.. etc.

i've become a dumpster diver! (woo!) well ok.. not diver but dumpster grabber. :-)