Sunday, July 25, 2010

Oxford


I took a bus trip from London to Oxford for a Sunday afternoon spent wandering around one of the ultimate English college towns. The weather was beautiful, as it had been for just about the entire trip to London.

Christ Church

I was thinking "what, cows on campus?!" but then I remembered I went to Penn State.

I paid to get into Magdalen College (pronounced maudlin). It was pretty, as all the colleges are, but I don't think it was worth 4.50GBP.

Courtyard in Magdalen College

I also went up the St. Mary's church tower for great views of Oxford and the surrounding countryside. There's something about the English countryside – big open skies, rolling hills and fields.


I also stopped into the Ashmolean. I love that so many of the museums are free; it takes a lot of pressure off to rush around seeing everything to get your money's worth. I saw a few exhibits and then carried on with my visit to Oxford.


Streets of Oxford

I went to an ice cream shop and then hopped the bus back to London. I was a little disappointed by Oxford, but I think it had a lot to do with the masses of teenage (mostly American) tourists that overwhelmed the city during the summer. It was pretty, but I had more fun wandering around Cambridge last year (sorry Oxford!)

No comments: