Went on the Tube today to Camden Town. There's a big market there, some of it open air, some of it in neat old buildings. Lots of clothes, jewelry, trinkets, and such. Too bad I'm not a goth, or know anyone who is, because that's what A LOT of the stalls had. Fun to walk through, because it's so huge and has some weird stuff.
After that I took the Tube again and got off at Covent Garden. Grabbed a burger and chips (!!) and wandered toward Leicester Square. I find out now that I didn't actually make it to Leicester Square, but I saw Chinatown on the way down to Trafalgar Square.
I went into the National Gallery and saw Sunflowers by Van Gogh, as well as Van Gogh's Chair. My grandma has my great-grandfather's painted replica in her house, and I didn't know until today that it was from Van Gogh. I always thought it was a just chair and a pipe. I'm so cultured. There was also a stained glass exhibit, but it was disappointing. I went into the National Portrait Gallery as well (thank you London for your free museums!) This was portrait photography, which I am much more interested in. I paid £1 to see the winners of the Photographic Portrait Prize of 2007. Really neat, and pretty inspiring. Just wait, you might be the victim of my attempts to become a portrait photographer!
After that I walked to Piccadilly Circus. It was dark by the time I got there, but that made the big flashing lights more impressive (or depressing, hooray commercialism??) It's a big shopping area, but a lot of the stores were closed because it is Sunday night.
I'm excited to see how the business district picks up tomorrow. Right now, there's NOTHING going on around the hotel. I'm also excited for my 5 min walking commute to the office!
Probably won't be updating much during the week, as I'll be working (that IS the reason I'm here). Again, take a look at my pictures to the right.
For the Superbowl tonight (which some pubs are showing), GO COMMERCIALS!
No comments:
Post a Comment