Friday, I went to the local pub (meaning the closest one to the office), The Walrus and Carpenter. I drank 2 beers (
gasp, because I usually don't drink beer!), and had a fun time discussing cultural differences with co-workers from around the world. After that I went to a Spanish tapas restaurant with some more co-workers, and wandered around for dessert with another co-worker. It was a pretty entertaining evening.
Saturday I went to Buckingham Palace to see the Changing of the Guard (pretty lame), and then headed off to Greenwich, which was the highlight of my trip. I was in Greenwich Park, which is this huge expanse of green space. And I mean green, in February! The best part? I crossed the Prime Meridian!!! I am so nerdy, but I thought that was incredibly neat.
Old Royal Naval College, Greenwich
Look, I'm .00000000000000001 degrees east AND west of the Prime Meridian!
On Sunday I met up with a NJ co-worker and went to Trafalgar Square to see some of the Chinese New Year festivities. It was incredibly crowded, and they set off fireworks
in the middle of the day in Leicester Square. Fireworks in bright sunny daylight are exactly what you think they might look like. Not very impressive. Following the fireworks, I wandered through St. James's Park, where everything was nice and green. It felt like spring this weekend. After that I went to Westminster Abbey for Evensong, which is the afternoon prayer service done mostly by the choir. Hey, it was a free way into the Abbey, which was beautiful. I am so amazed by the architecture of centuries-old churches.
Hi, I'm a crocus blooming in FEBRUARY in St. James's Park
Blue skies, Big Ben and a part of the London EyeFollowing that I went to Harrod's, which is a HUGE department store. I can't even describe it. Think Macy's in NYC, but with only designer labels. In incredibly gorgeous, separated rooms (halls). They had A ROOM DEDICATED TO CHANDELIERS. Come on!!
Tonight a co-worker I met at Boot Camp invited me to go bowling in the Elephant and Castle district of London (which is apparently a shady section). The alley was pretty cruddy, and I bowled probably my worst games since I was 10, but the company was nice, and I had fun.
My time is running out in London; it's flown by, but I feel like I haven't been home in months! My hotel is booked for Paris, and I'm finishing up what I can at work.
Oh, and today is my sister Sierra's 16th birthday. Man, do I feel old!!
1 comment:
Al, I hope you did a good run across that prime meridian.. what if Google Earth comes back and tells us that the line was off by 3 feet?? Then what would you do?!?!
:-)
Post a Comment